Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Wing (by: Denise Levertov)




Something hangs in back of me,
I cant see it, can't move it

I know it's black,
a hump on my back.

It's heavy. You
can't see it.

What's in it? Don't tell me
you don't know. It's

what you tell me about-
black

inimical power, cold
whirling out of it and

around me and
sweeping you flat.

But what if,
like a camel, it's

pure energy I store,
and carry humped and heavy?

Not black, not
that terror, stupidity

of cold rage; or black
only for being pent there?

What if released in air
it became a white

source of light, a fountain
of light? Could all that weight

be the power of flight?
Look inward: see me

with embryo wings, one
feathered in soot, the other

blazing ciliation of ember, pale
flare-pinions. Well-

could I go
on one wing,

the white one?


please......???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home